At Greenacre Academy our History curriculum aims to engage students with the subject and the discipline by focusing on:
• What happened in the past?
• What are the different versions of the past?
• How do historians work with evidence and historical sources?
• How do historians and people construct the past?
We cover a wide range of carefully selected topics at KS3 and ensure that students develop their understanding and application of core concepts in History (change, continuity, significance, similarity, differences and causation).
Some of the Key Topics in Year 7
• The Norman Conquest
• The Black Death 1348
• Crime and Punishment Through Time
• Significant Individuals in History
Some of the Key Topics in Year 8
• The Atlantic Slave Trade
• The Industrial Revolution
• The Rise and Fall of the British Empire
• Significant Days in History
Some of the Key Topics in Year 9
• The Aftermath of WW1
• Life in Nazi Germany
• The Holocaust
• The Cold War
• The Vietnam War
At GCSE, we work with the Edexcel Exam board where students study 3 papers:
• Paper 1 – Warfare Through Time c1250-present
• Paper 2 – Anglo Saxon and Norman England c1060-88 and Superpower Relations and the Cold War c1941-91
• Paper 3 – Weimar and Nazi Germany c1918-39
At A-Level, our PGW Year 12 and Year 13 students follow the AQA Exam Board and following topics:
• Current Year 12s – Current Year 13s – The British Empire 1857-1967, Democracy and Nazism: Germany 1918-1945 and Historical Investigation Component (Coursework)
• Current Year 13s – Current Year 13s – The British Empire 1857-1967, Democracy and Nazism: Germany 1918-1945 and Historical Investigation Component (Coursework)
Trips in History!
• Belgium Battlefield Trip
• British Museum in London
• Join Trips with WGS e.g. Normandy, Poland, Berlin
• Dover Castle Trip
• Imperial War Museum in Duxford
Recommended Revision Support
Weimar and Nazi Germany –
Warfare Through Time and the Blitz – https://sites.google.com/glynschool.org/warfare-through-timedepth-stu/home?fbclid=IwAR1tmMdogU5NqygVxZ6UhBewNaxOyjzRnvlQ4F1jwUJeK-q0zzAQVvzNXPw
Anglo Saxon Norman England – https://www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize/guides/zxgwp39/revision/1 A-Level
- My Revision Notes: AQA AS/A-level History The British Empire, c1857-1967 by Alan Farmer
My Revision Notes: AQA AS/A-level History: Democracy and Nazism: Germany, 1918– 1945 Paperback – 25 Nov. 2016 by Alan Farmer