At Hilltop Primary Academy, our geography curriculum is designed to develop knowledge and skills that are progressive, as well as transferable, throughout their time here and also to their further education and beyond. In this subject, children investigate a range of places – both in Britain and abroad – to help develop their knowledge and understanding of the Earth’s physical and human processes. We are committed to providing children with opportunities to investigate and make enquiries about their local area of Rochester. so that they can develop of real sense of who they are, their heritage and what makes our local area unique and special. We are also developing the children’s ability to apply geographical skills to enable to confidently communicate their findings and geographical understanding to a range of audiences. Through high quality teaching, we develop the following essential characteristics of geographers:
- A genuine interest in the subject and a real sense of curiosity about the world and the people who live here.
- An excellent knowledge of where places are and what they are like, both in Britain and the wider world;
- An comprehensive understanding of the ways in which places are interdependent and interconnected;
- An extensive base of geographical knowledge and vocabulary;
- The ability to reach clear conclusions and explain their findings;
- A growing understanding of how humans affect the planet and ways in which we can help;
- Excellent fieldwork skills.